Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Linda Asks - "Are your Pewter items food-safe?"

Yes, unlike pewter fashioned in earlier days, today's pewter is 100% lead free, so it can be used with confidence!  We don't recommend using pewter for long term storage of food items as the acids found in some foods can cause pitting or discoloration of the pewter.
To care for your pewter - After each use, wash your pewter in warm, soapy water, rinse well and dry it immediately with a soft cloth. You may find that initially some of the non-toxic gray patina will wash off.   This is normal.  With excessive scrubbing you will be left with more of a polished look but over time the surfaces will dull down.  Do not put pewter in the dishwasher or microwave. Pewter dishes cannot be used over an open flame or in the oven. 
By following these simple steps you should enjoy your pewter items for years to come.

No comments: